Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Banana-Peanut Butter-Almond-Coconut Smoothie

This should be a crime. It's relatively healthy, but so calorie packed with substance (rather than those sugar- and dairy-filled milkshakes you might get at your local fast food joint). And SO good.

I've recently been restricted to a liquid diet. Not all as fun as you might think. No booze, and I've recently resumed coffee to get me through finals. It's not running through my system all too well.

After 36 hours no food, I could hardly walk by myself without lunging for something (or opting for the wheelchair). I'm usually a stair-taker -- I couldn't even do that (albeit two flights at 8,500 feet isn't a piece of pie). Some may stay in the hospital in that condition, thinking they were too weak to go home. I've been through surgery before -- you only heal as fast as the quality sleep and rest you get, the remedies your mom gives you (OK, for me...), and the quality, nutrient-packed foods that I only seem to get at home. So, what did I make as soon as I got home Sunday night, still groggy from anesthesia? A calorie-packed smoothie full of good fats that would quell my hunger, soothe my throat, go down smoothly, and enable me to sleep through the night.

I hit the nail on the head.

**I use this as a post-op, low volume, calorie-dense treat. It would also be good for those in a refeeding stage eager to minimize simple sugars.

Banana-Peanut Butter-Almond-Coconut Smoothie

1 banana, frozen
1/4 cup smooth, organic peanut butter
Liquid probiotics, if desired
Cinnamon, if desired
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 cup Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island frozen dessert
1/2 cup, plus more if desired, sweetened almond milk

Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix and puree on high until smooth and velvety. Enjoy in a mug or with a spoon.

No comments: